We are the first serverless database platform designed specifically with the developer in mind. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, and creators alike. We harness the power of open source allowing unlimited scaling. No one else combines scalability and the developer experience like we do.
The database market is the most sought after in the VC space and is projected to be a $60 billion business by the end of 2022. The pace of innovation is mind-blowing. The opportunity is massive.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at Twitter, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading VC companies like a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins.
We are just getting started!
Why PlanetScale Sales?
PlanetScale's Sales team is passionate about understanding our customer's unique needs. We help enterprises redefine their infrastructure while considering modern developer workflows. Our team is mission focused with clear goals, high standards for performance, offer a well defined prospecting process, and are committed to making every individual successful. We are an emerging Sales organization with our sights set on building a world class GTM machine. You want to be in Sales at PlanetScale because you want to represent a category redefining product. We have reimagined a modern, serverless database designed to make developers lives easier. We have built that on top of the only technology proven to horizontally scale relational databases. A truly game changing product. It is a redefinition of a very different technology.
If you are a technical expert who enjoys rapid turn around on infrastructure projects and working with business stakeholders to solve problems, this is a fantastic opportunity to be a high-impact, early member of the Sales team for a thriving product. PlanetScale's Sales team is passionate about understanding our customers' unique needs. We help enterprises redefine their infrastructure while considering modern developer workflows. In this role, you will work to manage and execute on all technical aspects of the sale. You'll partner closely with Account Executives, lead technical conversations, and identify how PlanetScale can provide technical solutions to business problems.
What's the job to be done?
- Perform technical discovery and gather requirements for prospects and customers
- Identify customer business requirements and match them to existing and future product features
- Lead proof of concept implementations and establish technical success criteria
- Build relationships with key decision makers and technical champions
- Educate prospects on product implementation and usage best practices
- Act as intermediary between sales and other technical teams to best meet customer needs
- Communicate customer feedback and perspectives to appropriate teams to be considered for future product strategy
- Answer product questions and help customers and prospects
- Contribute to internal knowledge repositories and building technical documentation to support sales efforts
- Develop and present demonstrations of PlanetScale's Cloud database
These attributes best describe you...
- You thrive in a collaborative, team environment
- You are willing to jump into a rapidly scaling startup environment and build new teams, process and functions within the org
- You are a creative problem solver that identifies new and innovative ways to drive growth
- You are highly organized and able to operate in ambiguous or changing situations
- You thrive in an environment of cross-department collaboration.
- You exhibit an ambitious approach, and start-up/dive-right-in mentality.
- You want to work in a fast-moving rocketship, own and design programs, and make a significant impact on the success of the business.
- You demonstrate a positive, go-getter attitude.
- You are a self-starting, enthusiastic individual who is willing to take innovative approaches and responsibility for outcomes.
What you will need
- 5 years of experience in a technical role
- Experience with relational databases and cloud databases
- Ability to quickly solve technical and business-related challenges
- Pragmatic approach to tackling unforeseen challenges
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Passionate commitment to quality and success
What else will help you be successful
- Expertise with MySQL and Vitess
- Basic knowledge of open source development and communities
- Experience working in or with large engineering teams
- Previous experience in a sales or consulting role
- Ability to articulate the value of DevOps
- Experience working in a remote organization
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!